How we as a clinic will be responding to the presence of COVID 19.
This is hard topic with lots of controversy about what is and isn’t the truth, what is the best plan of action and it throws us right in the middle of vaccine controversies and all sort of beliefs and decisions about our bodies that are extremely personal, and should remain so, but whose impact on the community may be large enough for the government to begin having a say in how those need to play out.
The CDC has a risk assessment that they apply retroactively to health care workers and that can be the basis of lawsuits. Now that would just be an intense look at what should be and remain private health care practices. What we do with our bodies should be our decision.
KidsBrainTree FoCo has an alternative approach to traditionally managed symptoms of dysfunction around trauma and neural growth. As such we have actively avoided toxins, promoted natural immunity, suggested gut health improvement, and used energy techniques to facilitate function at various levels.
This means that to date we have not used severe cleaning supplies, instead we have focused on non-toxic options, used essential oils, had a HEPA filter for the air, and been pretty low key. We are no longer going to be able to do it solely this way - till this catastrophe is over. We have to be able to say we have done all that we can to not contribute to community spread, if we are called upon to. This is killing me to write.
We started two weeks ago implementing all hands washing. We need to step this up a bit. We are going to include faces in the instructions now at the office.
We would like to do somethings and we have been going round and round with what is reasonable in the light of how this virus spreads. We have checked these facts. We know they are not being told to everyone.
- The spread is by aerosolized droplets that land everywhere.
- The COVID 19 virus survives for 9 days on its own - on all sorts of surfaces including airvents, clothing, elevator buttons, hand rails, door knobs…. wherever it lands
- The route into bodies is via the eyes, nose and mouth, and open wounds (read skin that is chapped from washing too much/ too dry etc)
- The virus can replicate without alerting your immune system for up to 24 days. (we get “symptoms” when our immune system responds) This could be linked to the HIV insertion into this modified SARS virus that is COVID 19 - this is NOT the flu.
We know that immune support is effective in being able to mobilize our body’s innate ability to deal with these things. The more we give our bodies the tools they need, the better they fight – but in our practice (KBTFOCO) we have the kids with food aversions, high cortisol and allergies.
I absolutely know that getting vitamins into these kids is impossible for some. I know that adding new foods just is not going to happen.
So we have come up with some things that we are hoping you will not find too arduous. The way around this is feeling complicated but maybe we have some options.
What we as a clinic have taken on:
We have started using harsher cleaners including Lysol and Clorox. So if you smell it sorry.
The biggest changes are the frequency with which we are doing this and the products we are using.
We used to clean everything 1x a week with Vinegar and Soda, wash the toys with soap – and wipe down with a light solution of tea tree oil and covered that smell with orange oil.
- We have replaced this with a protocol for using Lysol/Clorox - wiping of the outside door, the hand rails in the stairwell, entry door – knobs and wood both inside and outside before seeing clients and then after they have gone. So you may well smell it. Sorry.
- We are Lysol/Clorox spraying the chairs in the waiting area, the toys – like the click math game, the magnetic games, we have started wiping the books down, and of course the surfaces – the table.
- We are Lysol/Clorox spraying the bean bags and wiping the big balls, the edge of the ball pit and any toys taken out and used. We will spray the ball pit balls and they will go into a washing rotation 1x a week. More if necessary.
- We are adhering to our own washing hands and face protocols.
- We will still run the HEPA filter and we have UV C light on the surfaces.
- Since Viruses die when in contact with colloidal silver, we have been diffusing this throughout the clinic and have been alternating it with tea tree oil.
- We are going to be wearing clothing we put on in the clinic and take off again before we go out so that we are not carrying anything on us.
- We are not yet sure if we are going to wear masks and eye gear while treating – but the CDC will only give people wearing these items, the all clear to work, if they happen to have had contact with an infected person. Anything else – skip the glasses, or the mask in any scenario, they suggest 14 days quarantine. If we are in the 2 weeks prior to diagnosis contact-line of someone diagnosed, it is possible they will quarantine us.
So… if we decide to wear protective gear we are thinking to make a video to show kids what we are doing, that it is still us, maybe talk about why and that is okay and safe. And we are talking through exactly what that would look like and we are aware of the impact on children. We are juggling this with all that must be held in balance. We may make play masks, we may ask your help with this – we are still debating amongst ourselves. Will keep you updated.
The more you can help us with the following the more effective we will be in not being part of the community spread.
- Please adhere to the hand and face washing – both kid and accompanying adult.
- If you or your kid has a cough or fever, please do not come to therapy. We want our child to be naturally fever free for 48 hours. Please don’t medicate your child and bring them. No one wins with that.
- If you or an immediate/nuclear family member living in your house have traveled, please do not come to therapy for 3 weeks after you get home. Especially if the travel was by air and definitely if the destination included any place with reported cases. Spring break is coming up and we know people have plans. We also know that the little steel tubes in the air are problematic. Please would you honour this request. The children in our practice often have compromised immune systems due to the high cortisol in their systems.
- If you or an immediate/nuclear family member living in your house happen to be exposed to anyone diagnosed with COVID19 or is diagnosed with COVID19, please let us know, and we will need to make an individual plan.
- If you want to go an extra mile, having clothing to change into for therapy at the clinic would be a great way to limit exposure.
- Having a colloidal silver diffuser in your home would drop your personal viral loads and make it hard for this thing to get a hold.
- If you happen to have a way of getting any or all of the following into yourselves or your kids, it would set you up well:
- Vit D
- Vit C
- Vit B complex
- Some of the anti-viral foods like
- It may be worth using some of the antiviral oils in a diffuser
- oregano Oil – 70 % carvacrol
- tea tree (lightly use)
There are more things that you can do and we can have a conversation about those at another time.
These steps will help us be retroactively ruled out as a spreader of the disease, and will help us stay open as long as possible.
Should we do all this and still be quarantined, we can do online therapy. Hopefully for only 3-4 weeks but…who knows
It is not as effective as the hands-on components of what we do in the clinic. However I used to do a lot of online therapy for clients in Colorado, Ohio, Georgia, Florida and in South Africa. I was an online school therapist and did my job here in the US from South Africa. It is not my preference but certainly not impossible. I still do some treatments this way for overseas clients and I do most of my mentoring of OT’s this way
To that end, if you think you may want to take advantage of this option, there are some items that you would need to get to make it easier. It would be better to get them well before we need them as if there is a shut down – shops/amazon etc will not be an option at that time. We can work without them – but it is just alot easier with them.
- A peanut ball - 20 inch
- A bean bag of sorts – to land in
- A small $3 soft Walmart ball 8-10 inch
- A ball on a LONG string
We can get the basics done with this equipment set - in an emergency.
We will work via ZOOM. 991-646-1552 – so you will need to download the sign in page from https://zoom.us/join
The first ½ hour we will connect WITHOUT a kid and I will teach you what to do. I have videos etc from teaching therapists. When you feel comfortable to try, you will do it with you child an di will watch. It is my superpower to be able see exactly what is going on.
I will give you feedback on technique and we try again. I will guide you closely and you will be able to do what I am asking. I know each of you well enough to know how to guide you.
We will not do as much as in the clinic or when I don’t need to teach you first, but this may be a way to keep going without interrupting the flow – only the speed of goal achievement.
It will need a drastic step from local government to make this our only option, but at least we have one.
We hope you know that we have thought long and hard about this. Our goal is not to fear monger yet there is a very harsh reality facing us and not doing something about it would be so wrong. I am sorry that I have to have this conversation. Many of you know I am not afraid of hard things, but this is close to one of the hardest things I have had to do. I don’t ever want to be the person in charge of calling it for countries. OMG. What an awful job.
If it turns out we are all fine. I think no harm will have been done by this plan. If it goes the other way, then I want I plan in place.
Please feel free to contact me about any of this.